The total number of units required for a master's program varies by academic discipline, but all require a minimum of 30 units of graduate credit of which at least 24 credits must be in non-thesis credits. Many students will take more than the minimum number of credits, and all students must meet the minimum unit requirement for the specific master's degree which may be more than 30 units. A thesis, substantial research project, final creative project, or additional coursework in lieu of a thesis is required.
Except for a limited number of units that can be transferred from other approved institutions, the remaining unit requirements must be met by University of Arizona courses. At least one half of the required units must receive a grade of A, B or C. (I.e. no more than half the units can be graded S or P.) Grades of D cannot be counted toward a graduate degree. In cases in which a thesis is part of the degree program, a limited number of thesis units (course number 910) may count toward the degree. Except as specified below, all units of coursework for the master's degree must be in 500-level courses or above.
Non-degree, transfer and 400-level coursework
The total number of units of coursework taken (a) in 400-level courses at the University of Arizona, (b) while in graduate non-degree seeking status, and/or (c) from other institutions cannot exceed 12. Please refer to the form entitled Evaluation of Transfer Credit. This form is expected at the Graduate College before the end of the first year in residence.
Specific limits on the 12 units that may be brought into the program:
- Not more than 6 units of University of Arizona undergraduate coursework at the 400 level can be accepted into a master's program, and only if they were not used toward the undergraduate degree.
- No more than 12 units of coursework taken in graduate non-degree seeking status may be used toward a master's degree.
- Transfer work may not exceed 20% of the required number of units for the master's degree being sought. (Example: For a degree that requires 30 units, no more than 6 units of transfer work may be used.)
Policies & Procedures
- Degree Requirements
- Master's Degrees
- Credit Requirements
- Time Limitation for Master's
- Continuous Enrollment Policy for Masters Students
- Transfer Credit
- Second Masters Degrees
- Dual Degrees
- Major Professor for Master's Students
- Master's Committee
- Qualifying Examinations
- Masters Plan of Study
- Completion of Masters Requirements
- Final Examination
- Publication of Thesis
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Doctor of Education
- Doctor of Audiology
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- Master's Degrees
- Steps To Your Degree
- Degree Forms
- Important Deadlines
- Find Your Auditor