Each academic department has different deadlines for application to their graduate programs. The Graduate College does not have application deadline dates.
In order to insure that the departments and the Graduate College are able to process your documents in due time we suggest the following dates for submitting your application to the Graduate College:
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Resident Applicants:
- Check posted department deadlines.
- Apply to the Graduate College at the same time that you submit documents and apply to the department.
- December 1 is suggested for those who plan to enroll in the fall (August) semester of the following year.
- June 1 is suggested for those who plan to enroll in the spring (January) semester of the following year.
- Check posted department deadlines as some departments may have earlier deadlines for international students.
- Apply to the Graduate College at the same time that you submit documents to the department.
Prospective students may apply and submit required documents up to one year in advance. Note that admission for international students is more lengthy due to the evaluation of foreign credentials, issuance of visa documents, and the time needed to process the visa itself through the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in the student's home country.
Some departments admit graduate students only once a year, in the fall, and others admit both in the fall and the spring. Still other programs may begin only in the summer. Please consult the Program Description Guide for specific departmental application deadlines.
Students who are seeking departmental funding should pay extra attention to posted deadlines.
Application fees are non-refundable, thus we request that you verify posted deadlines and requirements prior to submitting an application.