The Graduate College encourages students to prepare for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) through formal or informal instruction and study, as appropriate to the individual. For those students seeking professional assistance, one option to consider is a workshop led by Michael Flynn, Executive Director of Grad Pros Educational Consulting. Mr. Flynn has facilitated GRE workshops on the UA campus since 2000 and has received consistently positive feedback.
There are three components to this workshop.
- Practice tests: The course begins with a GRE practice test administered under simulated test conditions. Scores will be analyzed to determine areas of strength and weakness for each participant. One additional practice test will be taken in class, and another will be taken at home to familiarize students with the GRE's computer format.
- Group instruction: Test-taking strategies for the quantitative, verbal and writing sections of the GRE will be covered along with time management, stress/anxiety and other topics relating to test performance. Timed sections will be administered to assess individual strengths/weaknesses and to improve pacing.
- Extra help from the instructor: The instructor, Michael Flynn, is Executive Director of Grad Pros Educational Consulting and former admissions committee member at Harvard University and the UCSD School of Medicine. Extra help will be available during and after the workshop.
The Fall 2015 workshop is designed to be completed over 4 days, as noted below. As new material is presented in each class, students need to commit to attending all four days of the workshop. The workshop is held on the UA campus.
- Saturday, September 19, 9am - 5pm
- Sunday, September 20, 9am - 1pm
- Saturday, October 17, 9am - 5pm
- Sunday, October 18, 9am - 1pm
The cost of the workshop is $300, which includes all instruction, a GRE practice book and extra help both during and after the workshop.
To request a seat in the workshop, please contact Michael Flynn by email: email@example.com. In addition to your full name and phone number, please include the following information about your affiliation with UA and your plans to take the GRE:
- Current UA students: indicate your year in school (junior, senior, graduate student, etc) and expected GRE test date. Note: you may be asked to show your UA Cat Card at the first workshop.
- UA alumni: indicate your graduation date and expected GRE test date.
- UA staff: indicate your title, department, and expected GRE test date.
- Community members: indicate your expected GRE test date.
Class size is limited and registration is prioritized in the order indicated above. Please consider the interests of others and only request a seat in the workshop if you can fully commit to attending all four scheduled class meetings and plan to take the GRE soon after completing the workshop (within a month or so).
Additional questions may be directed to Stephanie Adamson in the UA Graduate College.
Please refer to the UA Testing Office for general information about the GRE.
The UA Think Tank also provides graduate test preparation workshops for the GRE, as well as the GMAT and LSAT.