The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers the Ph.D. with a major in Spanish in the following concentrations: a) Literature and Cultures of the Hispanic and Luso-Bazilian world, b) Hispanic Linguistics and c) Border Studies
Thank you for your interest in the University of Arizona's Department of Spanish & Portuguese. The department offers programs leading to the Master of Arts and the Doctor of Philosophy degrees with a major in Spanish. For those students in other departments, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers doctoral minors in Spanish.
Admission to all graduate programs requires the completion of a bachelor's degree with a major in the proposed field of study. Admission to the doctoral program in Spanish is dependent upon the completion of a Master of Arts degree in Spanish at the University of Arizona or elsewhere.
For questions regarding the graduate programs, please contact either the Director of Graduate Studies or the Administrative Associate of the Graduate Studies Program.
The applicant must hold, or anticipate completing by the time of admission, an M.A. degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or the equivalent degree from a university outside the U.S., have a minimum grade point average of 3.4 on a 4-point scale in the M.A. in Spanish, and meet the general requirements of the Graduate College.
Procedure for considering internal M.A. candidates for admission to the Ph.D. program:
All internal M.A. candidates who wish to continue for the Ph.D. at the University of Arizona must provide the following:
1) Three letters of reference, at least one of which must be from a professor who did not serve on the student's M.A. examination committee
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Statement of purpose written in Spanish by the student
4) A writing sample in Spanish
5) Graduate College Online Application
Acceptable English Proficiency tests:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Minimum score of 79iBT or 550PBT
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Minimum composite score of 7, with no subject area below a 6
Pearson PTE Academic - Minimum score of 60
Please visit the following websites regarding Financial Resource Information.
Spanish and Portuguese Language and Literature
Upon entering the Ph.D. program, the student establishes his/her degree study program in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies. The student must complete the following:
(1) A diagnostic qualifying oral interview during the first semester of study.
(2) 51 graduate units of course work (up to 15 units of course work may be transferred from the M.A.). A minimum of six units must be 600-level seminars.
(3) Present reading knowledge of one foreign language, other than English or Spanish, appropriate to the field of specialization (see page 13 for detailed information regarding the foreign language requirement).
(4) Pass a comprehensive examination, partly written and partly oral, which will include primary and secondary areas within the declared major field of study.
(5) Complete 18 doctoral dissertation units, write and defend a dissertation.
In addition, all Graduate Associate Appointments (GAs) in Spanish and Portuguese are required to complete a language teaching methodology course (SPAN-581A) before or during their first semester of classroom teaching. This course counts as one of the student’s electives for the Ph.D.
Please email Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Sonia Colina
|Application Acceptance Rate||25%|
|Med. Time-to-degree (years)||5.75|
|Enrollment Percent Male||27%|
|Enrollment Percent Female||73%|
|Enrollment Percent International||35%|
|Enrollment Percent URM||40%|