The Graduate College administers five programs and partners with other, primarily NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) that also provide excellent research training and graduate school preparation. These are clustered under the 'umbrella' of the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Consortium (UROC). UROC offers three year-round research and mentoring programs for UA undergrads and two summer-only programs (for visiting students and UA undergrads).
The common experiences among all of the UROC programs are:
- an intensive 10-week research experience under the guidance of a faculty mentor
- professional development and graduate admission workshops
- a free professional GRE workshop and encouragement to take the GRE during UROC
- social opportunities and a support network of like-minded peers
- poster session, oral presentation, and abstract writing.
Financial support is provided (the amount varies by program).