Applications for the University of Arizona Coverdell Fellows program 2020-2021 academic year are closed. We are accepting applications for fall 2021 effective August 3, 2020. Our priority deadline is January 15, 2021. Your academic program application is a separate application and may have different deadlines. Academic application waivers are not available for the Coverdell Fellowship.
Recently returned or evacuated Peace Corps volunteers interested in a graduate program at the University of Arizona for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021should contact the academic program coordinator listed in the online Academic Catalog which is the hub for academic program information and coordinator contacts: https://grad.arizona.edu/catalog/
Returned Peace Corps who enroll in the 2020-2021 year are eligible to apply for the Coverdell Fellowship for subsequent years of their academic program.
Applicants are encouraged to sign up for our Coverdell Inquiry Mailing List for periodic updates, webinar announcements and more.
As a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, you have a wealth of cultural experience that will enhance your academic and career decisions. We are delighted that you are considering the University of Arizona for an advanced graduate degree. Key information for the application process is contained in this section.
PEACE CORPS COVERDELL FELLOW ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Who is eligible to be a Coverdell Fellow?
Completed the full two-year tour of Peace Corps service, or the full tour minus up to 90 days if he/she/they returned home on an emergency leave;
Was granted "Early Close of Service"
Was granted "Interrupted Service" status due to circumstances that were beyond his/her/their control; or
Was medically separated
- This can come through one 12-month tour or a combination of shorter tours.
Who is not eligible?
- RPCVs who “early terminate” (ET) from Peace Corps for any reason not listed above, including administrative separation and voluntary resignation
- Peace Corps Response and GHSP Volunteers who have not served 12 months with Peace Corps, regardless of the reason why (presuming that they did not already complete a satisfactory 2-year tour through Peace Corps’ primary program)
- Individuals who are not Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (even if they completed similar service abroad)
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA REQUIREMENTS
Admission to a graduate degree-seeking program
Satisfactory annual academic progress
Service to an underserved population in the U.S. or its territories through an outreach assistantship, internship or other work
A total of 350-400 hours of service, outreach, collective Fellows' service projects and activities per 12-month period for each year of the fellowship
January 15, 2021 - Priority deadline for Coverdell Fellow applications
March 1, 2020 - Priority deadline for filing the FAFSA and final deadline for submitting Coverdell applications
Deadlines for academic applications can be found at Academic Programs. Contact the graduate program coordinator if a deadline has passed for a program that interests you.
Applications are reviewed by multiple readers and offers are coordinated with academic units. You must be admitted to the academic program to be eligible for Coverdell Fellows consideration. Applications are read for:
- Focus and purpose in academic and professional goals
- Dedication to service of underserved communities in the region and skills to meet community needs
- Continued dedication to the Third Goal of Peace Corps
- Connection and fit with the University of Arizona academic and Coverdell program and opportunities
- Demonstrated initiative or leadership
- Cultural and developmental maturity in the face of the challenges of Peace Corps, international or domestic aid work
APPLICATION WEBINARS AND CHATS
Coverdell Fellow application webinars and in-person information sessions are held throughout the year. Please sign-up to receive more details and specifics for each session: Webinar and Information Session Registration.
Watch the Most Recent Webinar
Other Past Sessions of Note
Note: Webinar recordings will be added to the list above during the year for those who are unable to join in.