Graduate Assistants/Associates at The University of Arizona may hold one or more of the following titles:
- Graduate Assistant, Teaching
- Graduate Assistant, Research
- Graduate Assistant, Outreach
- Graduate Assistant, Head Resident (Reserved for Residence Life only).
- Graduate Assistant, Other
- Graduate Associate, Teaching (Reserved for doctoral degree seeking students only).
- Graduate Associate, Research (Reserved for doctoral degree seeking students only).
- Graduate Associate, Other (Reserved for doctoral degree seeking students only).
Graduate students who are assigned duties of a Graduate Assistant or Associate (GA), such as teaching or research related activities including grading, must be hired with the title of Graduate Assistant or Graduate Associate. They may not be hired as student workers nor may they be paid using fellowship funds per IRS Section 117. Refer also to GA hiring policies and procedures. Student workers are generally assigned tasks that are routine in nature and require little or no previous training or work experience.
Graduate students are advised to consult with the appointing department for clarification of the duties and responsibilities associated with a particular job title.