You are here

Non-Degree Seeking Students

The minimum requirement for Non-Degree seeking graduate admission is the receipt of a U.S. Bachelors degree from a regionally accredited university/college or a final degree awarded from a comparable institute of higher education as evaluated under the University of Arizona Graduate College policies.

  • Non-Degree students may enroll in graduate-level courses. It is advisable that you contact the department(s) offering courses of interest to ensure that their courses are available to Non-Degree students.
  • Up to 12 units of graduate credit earned in Non-Degree status and/or transferred from other institutions, may be used toward an advanced degree once the student obtains regular admission to a degree program. Students in Non-Degree status must be admitted to a degree seeking program in order to complete a graduate degree.
  • Applicants with undergraduate work only, who do not meet the minimum required cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, may apply for Graduate Non-Degree status. After completing 12 consecutive semester units of graded (A, B, C) 500-level or higher coursework with a minimum GPA of 3.00, applicants may apply to a graduate degree program using their graduate GPA only. Individual programs may still consider all coursework when making recommendation decisions for a particular degree program.
  • The Graduate College requests that all applications and fees for Non-Degree status be submitted no later than one week before classes begin to avoid unexpected delays and late registration penalties assessed by the Bursar's Office.
  • If Non-Degree registration for a major semester is missed, then a new application and fee will be required.
  • Students will be assessed late penalties if they are not admitted, registered for classes, and have their accounts fully paid by the first day of classes. Refer to the Bursar's Office web site for current information. Note that students in Non-Degree status are typically not eligible for federal financial aid or for any financial assistance offered by The University of Arizona.

International applicants requiring a student visa are not eligible for graduate Non-Degree admission.

International students who currently hold a US visa that permits incidental study, must meet all admission requirements for international students, including proof of English proficiency, and must submit copies of their visa documents.  Additional transcript or degree documentation may be required and if eligible, note that under University of Arizona regulations, it is mandatory that all international students on non-immigrant visas carry the University of Arizona student health insurance plan. 

Please verify your eligibility with the International Student Programs and Services office before applying to this status as refunds are not issued if your visa status is not eligible.

Last updated 28 Apr 2015