Teaching Assistant/Associate Training Online (TATO)
Teaching Assistant/Associate Training Online (TATO) is a collection of self-paced modules about teaching and learning. These modules are made available via D2L, the centrally supported course management system at UA. All students who want to be employed as TAs must review the module Staying Out of Trouble: UA Policies and pass the test at the end of the module with a score of 95% or higher no later than two weeks after the start of classes.
After completing TATO, it is recommended that TAs review all pertinent supplemental TA modules before the beginning of each semester. These duty-specific modules have been found to be very helpful in providing suggestions and tips for effective teaching. They can be accessed at any time to refresh a TA's knowledge whenever needed https://d2l.arizona.edu/d2l/lp/homepage/home.d2l?ou=6725.
Deadline for completion of required module Staying Out of Trouble: UA Policies for Fall 2013 employment: September 8, 2013. Please note that your activity in TATO is monitored by Graduate College staff to ensure completion of this important training.
Instructions for login, self registration, and access to TATO:
1. Go to http://d2l.arizona.edu Do NOT use the Google Chrome browser.
2. Click on the button labeled UA NetID Login in the upper left side of the screen
3. Enter your NetID and password (If you are denied access, send an email message to D2L@email.arizona.edu. Your message will be answered as soon as possible.)
4. Click on Self Registration in the blue navigation bar near the upper left corner
5. Click on the hyperlinked course offering name Staying Out of Trouble: UA Policies
6. Click on the button labeled Register; Click on Submit; Click on Finish
7. Click on Register for another course and repeat steps 5 and 6 until you appear as enrolled in EACH and EVERY of the course offerings labeled TATO.
8. When you are done, click on My Home. In the center of the page, find the Student tab and follow the links to complete the TATO modules.
If you have trouble or cannot login to D2L, send a message to D2L@email.arizona.edu.
Procedure for scores of less than 95%:
The TA should login to the online module, print a copy of their highest scoring test and take it to their program graduate coordinator. The Graduate College relies on the graduate program to go over the missed questions with the TA and ensure that he or she understands the policies related to that area. Once the graduate program has met with the student, please complete the Department Remediation Form and send it to the Graduate College.
Description of mandatory module:
Staying Out of Trouble: UA Policies **This module is mandatory**
These interactive lessons on UA policies teach by asking TAs to apply each policy appropriately in a variety of situations drawn from actual experiences. TAs must earn 95% or higher on the final test not later than two weeks after the start of classes. The Graduate College monitors test scores.
Other TA trainings (not mandatory):
Descriptions of other (non-mandatory) TA trainings and resources available to all TA's, [adapted] from Connie Woodhouse, School of Geography, are available at http://geography.arizona.edu/sites/geography.arizona.edu/files/TATO.pdf. Retrieved on April 5, 2013.
- Costs and Fees
- Graduate Incentives for Growth Awards (GIGA)
- University of Arizona Resources
- Federal State and Institutional Aid
- Peace Corps
- Science Foundation Fellowship
- Other Resources
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
- Graduate Assistant / Associate