The Graduate College is pleased to announce the competition for the 2018 Marshall Foundation Dissertation Fellowship and the Dr. Maria Teresa Velez – Marshall Foundation Dissertation Scholarship. This award is intended for graduate students who are in the completion stage of their dissertation and who have exhausted all other funding resources except for loans.
Award: $10,846.00 provided by the Marshall Foundation (disbursed in one sum in spring 2018) and a Graduate Tuition Scholarship for up to two consecutive semesters-- spring 2018 and fall 2018-- provided by the Graduate College. Mandatory fees and health insurance are not covered.
- UA doctoral candidates whose dissertation proposal has been approved by their doctoral committee, have advanced to Doctoral Candidacy (will have been notified of this via email from Graduate Student Academic Services) and expect to defend their doctoral dissertation by December 2018.
- U.S. Citizenship and Arizona Legal Residency (as determined by the UA Residency Office) by the application submission deadline.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Demonstrated financial need.
The Marshall Foundation Dissertation Fellowship Application should include:
- A detailed abstract of the dissertation, including the main research question or hypotheses, methodology and summary of result up to date (2 page maximum).
- A statement explaining the significance of your dissertation and its potential contribution to our understanding or improvement of issues facing Arizona, the nation and the world (2 page maximum).
- A mention of any peer reviewed publication or significant scholarly presentation of your dissertation research.
- A detailed timetable identifying dates by when you plan to finish your data collection, data analysis and a draft of each chapter, as well as the expected date of the Oral Defense.
- A letter of support from your Dissertation Committee Chair addressing your scholarship and verifying that you will complete and defend the dissertation by December 2018.
- A copy of this year's FAFSA determination and/or your own statement of financial need (must have financial need to qualify for this award)
Application Deadline: Please note: The deadline to apply for the Marshall Foundation Dissertation Fellowship has been extended from 1 November to 15 November 2017.