TO: The University Community
DATE: January 6, 2019
FROM: Andrew C. Carnie, Ph.D.
Dean of the Graduate College
SUBJECT: Graduate Teaching and Mentoring Awards for Graduate Education
The Graduate College acknowledges and celebrates excellence in graduate teaching and mentorship at the University of Arizona. As we enter the New Year, please take a moment to nominate UArizona faculty and professionals who excel in their teaching and mentoring of graduate and professional students.
The Graduate College presents two awards for excellence in graduate teaching and mentorship. Each winner receives a check for $2,500.00, a medallion, and plaque, and is invited as an honored guest to the Spring Awards of Distinction Reception and Ceremony.
Tenure-track, tenured, and non-tenure eligible faculty who demonstrate a long-standing commitment to graduate education are eligible. Candidates may be nominated by students, staff, faculty members, department heads, graduate program directors, or deans.
A committee of faculty members and university professionals will review the nomination packets and make their recommendations to the Dean of the Graduate College. Reviews will look for evidence of excellence in both teaching and mentoring of graduate students.
For the nomination packet, please include:
- A nomination letter, specifically addressing the candidate’s qualifications for the award. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate the exceptional quality of both graduate teaching and mentoring by the nominee.
- There may be multiple signatures on the nomination letter.
- A curriculum vitae for the nominee.
- List of Graduate courses taught within the last three years.
- Teaching evaluations and student evaluations from the last three years. Please provide summary and comparative reports rather than every individual TCE.
- Letters of support with at least two letters from graduate students.
All nomination packets are due on Friday, February 7, 2020 by close of business and should be submitted using our online form which can be found at: https://grad.arizona.edu/forms/teachmentor.
For questions regarding submission please contact Lori D’Anna, email@example.com, 520-621-7815.
For questions regarding the content of the nomination packet please contact Maggie Pitts, Ph.D., Associate Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org; 520-621-0420.