At a Glance
In honor of Dr. Maria Teresa Velez, former Associate Dean, University of Arizona (UArizona) Graduate College, and her lifelong commitment to promoting graduate student diversity and inclusion and pushing for the highest of excellence, the Graduate College established the Dr. Maria Teresa Velez Diversity Leadership Scholarship. This award is given annually to a doctoral student who, through their teaching, research, or outreach and service, has demonstrated a commitment to furthering diversity in education, higher education, and the community at large.
The award consists of $25,000 plus full base (main campus) graduate tuition and individual student health insurance (excluding mandatory registration fees and any differential tuition) for one year only. The selected Fellow may not hold concurrent graduate assistant/associateships or student wage positions or defer the award for the following year.
Application Deadline: November 10, 2023
Eligibility information for 2024-25 nominations
Applicants must be nominated by their UArizona academic unit (one nomination per UArizona doctoral program only). Applicants may not apply directly. The Director of Graduate Studies or the Graduate Coordinator of the nominating program should fill out the application and upload the required documentation noted in the instructions section.
The nominee must be:
- Domestic UArizona doctoral student (U.S. citizen or permanent resident),
- Admitted to a main campus doctoral program at the University of Arizona (UA Online, JD, MD, DVM, and Pharm-D students are not eligible to apply), and
- In good academic standing with a current cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
Application instructions for nominations
Applicants must be nominated by their UArizona academic unit (one nomination per UArizona doctoral program only) via the online application. Applicants may not apply directly.
UA Directors of Graduate Studies or Graduate Coordinators should submit the following using the online application (one per UArizona doctoral program). The applications will be reviewed and recipients will be selected annually by a committee of UA faculty and staff.
- Two (2) page essay from the nominee describing goal(s), effort(s) and accomplishment(s) in contributing to or achieving increased diversity and inclusion in education, higher education, and/or the community at large (please format as single spaced, 12 point font, with 1” margins all around).
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member at the UA is required. The letter should address the diversity and inclusion experience of the applicant. Letter may be uploaded at online application site by applicant or emailed separately to Donna Treloar, Director, Graduate College Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Make sure the nominee’s name is on each page of the document