1. UA Harassment & Discrimination Prevention Training. Required for all Graduate Assistants and Associates
The University of Arizona is committed to creating a learning and working environment that is free of harassment and discrimination. GAs have dual roles. They are both Students and Employees working with students. In furtherance of this commitment, all GAs must complete the UA Harassment & Discrimination Prevention Training (includes Title IX content) to better understand how to prevent and report discrimination/harassment. All employees who work closely with students must complete the training.
Please go to the following link and complete the training: https://equity.arizona.edu/training/online-training
To request disability-related accommodations that will facilitate your full participation in this training please contact the DRC at 520-621-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Conflict of Interest Training (Required for Research Assistants and Associates)
In addition to the training listed above, all GAs in Research must complete the University's Conflict of Interest training. The particular kinds of training you need will depend on what kind of research you do and your specific role in the research process. Please contact the relevant compliance program(s) or the UA Office of Research, Innovation, and Impact, Conflict of Interest Division at COI@arizona.edu (520) 626-6406 if you have questions about which trainings you need to complete.
Failure to complete the required trainings can result in delays or denial of funding!
3. Required Training for Teaching Assistants and Associates
In addition to the two Title IX trainings listed above, all GAs in Teaching must successfully complete both FERPA and TATO. Currently, TAs need only successfully complete these trainings once to satisfy the requirement.
3.1 FERPA Training
All students are protected by a federal privacy law called FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). Since TAs are dealing with student records in an official capacity they are bound by this law. The University of Arizona requires that all employees with access to student records complete an online training course. Failure to complete this course within two weeks of starting your position as a TA, will render you ineligible to serve as a TA and your position may be terminated. The course can be accessed at this link: http://registrar.arizona.edu/personal-information/ferpa-tutorial or through the link in TATO.
3.2 TATO (TA Training online)
Teaching Assistant/Associate Training Online (TATO) is a collection of self-paced modules about teaching and learning made available via D2L. All students who wish to be appointed as Teaching Assistants/Associates (TAs) must complete the training and pass the test with a score of 95% or higher no later than two weeks after the start of classes.
It is recommended that TAs review the information from all modules in TATO before the beginning of each semester. Individual departments may also assign additional modules from TATO.
Please note that the mandatory training Graduate Assistant/Associate Teaching Orientation (GATO) is no longer offered or required by the Graduate College. However, individual departments or colleges may be requiring in-person training. Please contact the appointing department for more information.
- Go to http://d2l.arizona.edu.
- Click on the button labeled "UA NetID Login" in the upper left side of the screen.
- Enter NetID and password.
- Click the Discover link located at the top left side of the screen. The Discover page contains all the courses that are available for self-enrollment. There are two ways to find a course if you don't see it listed in the course tiles: Select the Browse All Content option at the top of the Discover widget or you can use the search box to search for the course by any word in the title of the course.
- Select TATO. This will take you to the course enrollment page.
- Click the Enroll in Course button to self-enroll for the course. NOTE: If you are already enrolled in the course, the button will read Open Course. This offers a secondary way to get back to a course.
- When the enrollment is complete, you can click the Open Course button to go directly to the course.
- To quickly find a Discover course you are already enrolled in, select the Discover Courses tab in the My Courses widget on your D2L home page.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
TATO and FERPA Deadlines
The deadlines for completion of the required trainings are below. Completion of these required modules monitored by Graduate College staff to ensure completion of this important training. Please contact D2L Support Team if you experience any issues within the TATO modules themselves. TAs who fail to complete either of these trainings will be ineligible for further employment and will be terminated.
|Fall 2022||Spring 2023|
|September 6, 2022||January 27, 2023|
TATO Procedure for scores of less than 95%
TAs not achieving a passing score of 95% after the first attempt must meet with a representative from their hiring unit to review the missed questions to help them better understand the policies and information related to that area. The TAs must retake TATO after the review. The hiring department must contact the Graduate College if the second attempt is unsuccessful for further information.