Federal, State, and Institutional Aid

Degree Seeking Graduate Students

All graduate students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for need-based grants, loans, scholarships, and Federal Work-Study programs. It is recommended that graduate students complete the FAFSA by March 1 to receive priority processing. Many sources of funding are based on need and eligible graduate students are encouraged to file the FAFSA regardless of intent to obtain federal student loans.


  • Admitted as degree seeking graduate student at the University of Arizona,
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • The minimum number of units required to receive aid is 5 units for EACH TERM that aid will be disbursed (fall, spring, and summer). Dissertating students may enroll for a minimum of 3 units of 900 level only. Please note that academic units may set a higher minimum level enrollment. Full time enrollment varies.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standing (3.0+ GPA)

Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Students

A small amount of financial aid is available to non-degree seeking graduate students who intend to be admitted to a graduate degree program. Please follow the instructions outlined on the Financial Aid Petition for Graduate Preparatory Work. Questions regarding this information may be directed to the Graduate College at 621-3471. Please ask for Rachel Nielsen or Julie Treanor.

Additional Information

Graduate College staff are prohibited from providing federal financial aid or tax advice. We recommend working with a Financial Aid Counselor in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.