You are here

International Applicants


International applicants must meet additional admissions requirements in the following areas:

Degree Requirements

Please review our International Graduate Admissions Requirements summary to discover the minimum degree required of students from each country.

back to top


English Proficiency

Applicants Affected by Public Health Quarantines

For international graduate student applicants affected by testing closures due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), please consider the University of Arizona CEPT full academic exam, which can be administered from a distance.

General English Proficiency Information

Proof of English proficiency is required for international applicants who hold citizenship from a country where English is not the official language.

Please check our English Requirement list to verify your need to submit an English proficiency test.  

Individual departments may require higher scores than the Graduate College and all tests must be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid.  The University of Arizona's institution code for sending official electronic score reports from ETS is 4832. 

Acceptable English Proficiency Credentials: 

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - minimum score of 79 iBT (or 60 on the revised PBT with no section score lower than 15).  Individual MyBest scores must also be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid.
    • Note, for Master's programs, we also accept the TOEFL Essentials test with a minimum band score of 9.5. Individual programs may set higher English proficiency requirements, please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator if you have questions. The TOEFL Essentials Test is not an accepted test of English proficiency for doctoral programs. 
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - minimum composite score of 7, with no subject area below a 6
  • Pearson PTE Academic - minimum score of 60
  • Graduate English Language Endorsement from the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
  • CEPT Full Academic test - offered by our Center for English as a Second Language (CESL), minimum Total score of 110.

The Graduate College does not accept Duolingo scores for demonstration of English Proficiency.

Conditional Admission

Graduate departments may recommend a student for Conditional Admission if the prospective student meets all Graduate College requirements except the minimum English proficiency requirement.  See International Conditional Admission for more information.


Those exempt from submitting English proficiency scores are:

  • Applicants who hold citizenship from countries where English is the official language.
  • Applicants who have completed a bachelors or graduate degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or an approved institution in an official English speaking country.  Students eligible for this exemption, who are awarded a graduate teaching assistantship from their department, must complete the mandatory English Speaking Proficiency Evaluation (ESPE.)  Refer to the GA Manual for more information:
  • Applicants who have not yet completed a degree, but have two years of full-time academic study and have taken 48 upper division, graded undergraduate semester units or 30 graded, graduate semester units at a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or an approved institution in an official English speaking country.  Units must not be older than two years from the term of enrollment.  Students eligible for this exemption, who are awarded a graduate teaching assistantship from their department, must complete the mandatory English Speaking Proficiency Evaluation (ESPE.)  Refer to the GA Manual for more information:

Special Requirements for Graduate Teaching Assistants 

In order to be hired as a Graduate Teaching Assistant or Associate, an admitted student must meet a higher level of English proficiency than the minimum required for admission. International GTAs must meet at least the following requirements in order to serve in this capacity:

  • TOEFL IBT Speaking Section – score of 24
  • TOEFL PBT - those who took the revised test after 2017 will be asked to take a UA CESL test of speaking skills.
  • TOEFL Essentials Test Speaking Section - score of 11
  • IELTS -Speaking Section 7.5
  • CEPT - Speaking Section 44
  • Completion of ESPE:

back to top


Financial Guarantee and Visa Requirements

Students requesting non-immigrant visas must certify they possess adequate financial resources to support themselves while in residence at the University of Arizona and must provide proof of financial support. 

  • After admission, students will receive an email from International Student Services (ISS) with instructions on how to request an I-20.

  • Students should use the financial guarantee requirement page to determine the amount of funding you will be required to show for your request. 

  • ISS will review the request and email the I-20 directly to the student (while COVID-19 procedures are in place).

  • For more information on the I-20 request process, applying for a visa, online check-in requirements and travel, check the New Graduate Students page on the ISS website.

Helpful Financial Guarantee Information:

  • Departmental funding can serve as proof towards completion of the financial guarantee.
  • It is acceptable to combine various types of funding such as student's personal funds, family funds, sponsor funding, and/or departmental funding to meet the total guarantee requirement.
  • Family members (spouse or child/ren) that accompany students to the United States require proof of additional funding. 
  • Students admitted in Summer sessions are subject to additional summer fees.
  • Some programs have additional Program Fees as listed on the Financial Guarantee worksheet.
  • Please check with your intended department regarding their timeline for funding decisions.  

Sponsor Information:

  • If a student is sponsored through an organization or government agency, the sponsor must provide the Graduate Admissions Office and the International Student Services office with the terms of support.
  • An official sponsorship letter must include specific information regarding the amount and duration of the financial award. 
  • Some sponsors require the University of Arizona to bill their organization for student tuition and fees.  If so, details must be handled through an embassy or an agency located within the United States.
  • Prior to registration, an official letter regarding billing information must be sent to
    International Student Services
    University of Arizona, Global Center
    615 N Park Avenue
    Tucson, Arizona 85721

back to top


Health Insurance

Students on non-immigrant visas are required by The University of Arizona to carry student accident and illness insurance coverage for each term of enrollment.  The cost of insurance is included in the amount of the financial guarantee and is incorporated into your semester fees automatically upon registration.

Students covered by their government or sponsoring agency may be exempted from The University of Arizona's insurance plan when their government or sponsoring agency has submitted accident and sickness insurance plans deemed acceptable by The University of Arizona.  Contact Campus Health for more information regarding an insurance exemption.

Students hired as Graduate Assistants in teaching or research will have their individual health insurance coverage paid by The University of Arizona.  Additional information about this benefit will be sent to admitted international students who receive teaching or research assistant positions.

More information regarding our Campus Health Service can be found on the Campus Health website.

back to top


Eligibility to Participate in Coursework (Citizens of Iran)

While the University of Arizona does not accept or deny applicants based on nation of origin, we are responsible for providing accurate data on the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status form required for entering the United States of America and required for obtaining a valid visa.

To comply with the Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Human Rights Act of 2012 [Pub.L. 112-158, Section 501], we must report if a student from Iran plans to enter a program that provides education in the petroleum sector, the natural gas sector, nuclear science, or nuclear engineering.

The Department of State and Homeland Security may deny a visa to any applicant from Iran whom it determines seeks to enter the United States to participate in coursework at an institution of higher education (as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1001(a)) to prepare for a career in the energy sector of Iran or in nuclear science or nuclear engineering or a related field in Iran.

Applicants who may be affected by this restriction may contact the Student Exchange and Visitor Program at with their questions.

back to top


Last updated 7 Mar 2022